About the event
Call for Papers, Proposals, and Participation: Jane Marcus Feminist University
Due July 15, 2016
On September 9, 2016, from 9:30am to 7:00pm a conference to celebrate the life and scholarship of Jane Marcus, Jane Marcus Feminist University, will take place at the Graduate Center, City University of New York. The day will offer:
- Roundtable on Jane Marcus’s feminist pedagogy
- Break out sessions on topics that might include:
- Women and war
- Race, empire, national identity, and class
- Food, opera, art, and fashion
- Jane and Historical Materialism
- Jane and the Arts
- Jane and the Archives
- Virginia Woolf
- Rebecca West
- Modernist Women Writers and Activists
- The Suffragettes
- Nancy Cunard
- The Spanish Civil War
- The First World War
- Marginal Modernisms
- Peripheral Modernisms
- “Jane’s Reading List,” with readings from and inspired by her work
- Plenary discussion on the legacy of Jane Marcus’s scholarship
The committee is currently accepting abstracts, proposals, and volunteers for:
- The roundtable on Jane Marcus’s feminist pedagogy: if you would like to participate in the roundtable, please send a 250 word abstract of what you imagine your contribution would be,
- Leaders for break-out sessions: if you would like to lead a break-out session, please send a 250 word description of your envisioned session.
- Volunteers to contribute and read for Jane’s reading list: if you would like to join the reading, please send a 250 word abstract of your chosen reading and how it relates to Jane.
If you would like to participate in another way, please email the committee and let us know.
Proposals and volunteer emails are due on July 15, 2016. Please send your abstracts and communications to:firstname.lastname@example.org
All questions and communications may be directed to the committee at email@example.com
We are also looking for co-sponsors to help fund the reception, travel grants for participants, and child care. If you or your organization can contribute to the conference budget, it would be a great help, and we would happily advertise your co-sponsorship in our publicity materials and program.